I was recently asked the question how do I break up with someone and not seem like a bad person. In which I replied it is nearly impossible. The bible doesn’t talk about this subject specifically but it does speak on how we should treat one another. Luke 6:31 “Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.
It is so important that you take being in a relationship seriously (Dating Right!!). Starting a relationship right doesn’t take away from the fact that breaking up is hard to do, but when you start a relationship right you increase the chances of not being destroyed if you do break up. If breaking up with someone is the road you must take, consider these steps in light of Luke 6:31.
- First and foremost you must weigh the reasoning behind ending things. Sometimes the reasoning is something that can be worked out. Your emotions might not allow you to see that. Talk with and go over the reasoning with someone you know will tell you the truth and give Godly wisdom. Also, they need to have both of your best interest at heart.
- It must be done face to face. Don’t be a COWARD!!!!!
- Be respectful to the girl/guy. Don’t talk to everyone about it. If you have anything questionable to say about the person share it with that person only.
- Be open and honest – Communication is key. Make sure everything is said that needs to be said.
- Don’t prolong the inevitable. The sooner the better. They will appreciate you not wasting their time later down the road.
- Give each other space. Be cordial when you see each other but don’t feel the pressure to be best friends.
hope it helps